Bhansali’s magnum opus, Padmavati, undoubtedly is the most-awaited film of the year. The period drama has been constantly creating ripples on the internet for quite some time, and will certainly continue doing so until it hits the screens. The most striking part about this brilliant piece of art is the opulent costumes of the lead actors that are literally making us go weak in the knees. Deepika Padukone, who’s playing the titular role in the movie, has already inspired a lot of brides-to-be to sport a royal Rajput bridal look at their wedding. And with the release of the movie’s first song titled ‘Ghoomar’, Deepika has given all the more reasons to the girls to go back to the regal era and don ‘everything royal’ this wedding season. Well, ladies, if you too have been swooning over Deepika Padukone’s royal ‘Ghoomar’ look, let us help you get hold of it by decoding her style file.
Outfit That Makes A Queen
The renowned designer duo, Rimple & Harpreet Narula, aligned their creative minds with Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s vision and what we’ve got as a result is truly a delight to the eyes. Here are the key features of the royal costume that the queen wore in the song:
1. Multiple layers highlighted by colour blocks and deep rich jewel tones define the royal costumes of the 13th century, and Deepika’s outfit in ‘Ghoomar’ has all those features.
2. Her ghaghra’s motifs are inspired from old Pichwai textiles and various other vintage paintings blended well with metallic embroidery and gota patti work.
3. Other motifs used in the costume includes the lady with a parrot, the tree of life, the sun and the moon, the lion and the lotus- all of which have a deep historical significance ingrained in the Rajputana culture.
4. The odhni had leheriya print combined with metal foil work and raato embroidery (an embroidery style that uses gold metal flat wire with silk floss thread).
Jewellery That Defines Regality
The jewellery for the movie has been designed by the leading jewellery brand Tanishq and each piece is rightly symbolising panache and charm of the royals. Here’s what Deepika is seen wearing in the song:
1. A bold choker and matching jhumkis, that have the richness of gold, polki and pearls.
2. A heavy nath with a sleek chain.
3. A borla that represents a true blue Rajasthani bride.
4. Heavy haath phool teamed up with equally heavy bangles and bracelets.
While this was all about the apparel and jewellery that you need to look like a queen at your D-day, here’s a small pro tip about the makeup as well. When you have such a heavy bridal outfit and jewellery to glam up an evening, it is always advisable to go low on makeup. Deepika’s look is here to guide you right! Just wear a plain bindi and lipstick, and you are good to go!
And now that we know all about, how to rock a Royal Rajput look at your wedding, let us leave you with some interesting and glorious facts about Ghoomar: